Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Blackberry Upside Down Cake

Gluten Free

Serves 6 - 8


Extremely Important ;) :The trick to a perfect presentation is lining your baking pan with well-greased parchment paper to ensure that none of the cake sticks.

  • 2 1/2 cups fresh blackberries
  • 1 1/2 cups rice flour
  • 1 cup tapioca flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 3 eggs (2 egg yolks and 3 egg whites)
  • 1/3 cup canola oil
  • 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons Grade B maple syrup
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons real vanilla extract
  • 1 cup milk

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Line the bottom of an oiled 8x2-inch round cake pan with 2 rounds of parchment paper. Dust the pan with one tablespoon of the rice flour, knocking out excess. Place blackberries in 1 layer on the bottom of the pan and drizzle with 2 tablespoon of the maple syrup.

Sift together remaining flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt and set aside.

Separate eggs. In a medium mixing bowl, beat egg yolks until light yellow then combine with oil, remaining syrup and vanilla extract. Alternately add egg mixture and milk to flour mixture, blending after each addition. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form and gently fold them into the batter.

Spoon batter evenly over berries, smoothing the top, and bake in middle of oven until top is golden and knife inserted in the center of cake is clean when removed, about 30–35 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes, run a knife around edge of pan, then invert onto a large platter or cake plate. Peel off parchment and serve warm with ice cream or an alternative.


4 comments:

Lynn said...

Darn, I need to get parchment paper?! Real vanilla is a must though, my gma gave me some of the good tsuff form Williams-Sonoma one time and I'll never go back.

So how is this? It looks beautiful.

alise said...

I left "parchment paper" in as a joke--you know I'm all about presentation--haha. Anyway, I never really follow recipes EXACTLY. If I can't find something, and it's just a pinch of it, I just leave it out, even though it probably dramatically changes the taste/end result. Whatever.

April said...

Can you give out a family favorite cookie recipe? I've tried a dozen and either the books are no good or I am no good...not sure I even want to ponder that further. Send us a fab cookie recipe!

alise said...

Oh, oops, yes it is good. I'll make it when you come.