Saturday, November 17, 2007

Hummus

Hummus is so super easy and nutritious I don't know why I don't make it more often. Anyhow, tonight I did and it was a good batch. I don't measure so all amounts are approximate.


I also made zucchini bread (while I had the food processor out why not) so if that turns out I'll add the recipe tomorrow.



2 cans chickpeas/garbanzo beans

4 cloves of garlic

3 tablespoons tahini

1/4 c. olive oil

red sea salt

juice from half a lime

1/4 red onion

2 tsp fresh oregano

4 tsp fresh parsley

Throw it all in a blender/food processor and mix that puppy till it looks like it's supposed to. Creamy.

So what's fun about hummus is the variations depending on what you have on hand and what you're in the mood for. Tonight I wished I had some jalapeno to toss in. Red pepper would be good and I've heard that using pine nuts instead of garbanzo beans is delicious. I slightly favor lime over lemon in this and of course any type of salt works. Herbs & onion optional, to taste.

Generally it's carrot sticks I'm dipping but pita chips, cucumber, red bell peppers, potato chips, etc. are all great friends of hummus. What I really really like is two slices of good bread (preferably Great Harvest's Spinach Feta) hummus spread thick, sliced red onions, cucumbers, tomatoes (maybe sprouts, carrot coins, peppers) and I'm thinking, who needs meat? Even guys like it (gasp). I tried it out on a few of Ben's colleagues when we went boating one day. Apparently it even goes well with beer.

Anyone else have a variation they like? Feel free to add on.

2 comments:

sara said...

i don't even know what half those ingredients are

alise said...

yummy