Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Reading labels


I love pineapple and can eat an entire one at once. Granted, it leaves my mouth unhappy later but I generally have a hard time stopping. Unfortunately I just found out that a whole pineapple has almost 500 calories -also 1 gram of fat and 5 grams of protein which is equally surprising! Even one cup of the stuff has 82 calories compared to say, 2 slices of Canadian bacon which has 70 calories and only 1 gram of fat, making the bacon perhaps a better choice for a snack?

I was also looking at the nutritional info on the back of a (large) bag of prewashed spinich and noticed that it only has 3 servings in it. And each serving is 4 cups of raw spinich...and only 20 calories! I can make a bag of spinich into at least 10 servings it seems. The same for prewashed salads. Only 2.5 servings. Which would mean our whole family should eat one bag per sitting. It usually last about 3 meals.

I'm gonna have to start checking out the nutritional info more often instead of going with what I think constitutes healthy or an appropriate serving size. Anyone else surprised by this info?


Note: I just found this site that has pictures of what 200 calories of certain foods looks like. Good for us visual learners! It's pretty cool.

No comments: