Thursday, November 1, 2007

My go-to food.

I love healthy food, or the idea of it. Don't we all. I don't always plan enough ahead of time to have the meals and snacks that would be delicious and nutritious for me and my kids. By the time I get around to feeding us (hunger comes around so frequently!) we will eat whatever is quickest. And often I need things that travel well and can be eaten on the go to make sure we don't have to make too many pit stops during our days spent out and about. When I say pit stops, I mean anything with a drive-through so that I don't have to get two kids out of the car, thus usually narrowing it down to the big three - Mickey D's, Burger King and Wendy's. I don't like their food. Only their ice cream, but that's another post.

So what are the old-faithfuls that I keep stocked for snacks on the go?
(Foods below contain no HFCS, TF/H or AC)

- Apples (I always wash them when I get home from the store so they are ready to eat)

- Stonyfield Farms Yo-Kids Squeezers (stick yogurt, we love it frozen, so good!)

- String Cheese

- Z-Bars Energy Bars for Kids

- Natural PB (it has come so far in taste and texture!) & Raw Honey Sandwich (I make a couple the night before for Ben's lunch and keep them in the fridge. They can last a few days and the honey gets nice and crunchy over time!)

- Beef Jerky

- Raisins (which I personally hate SO much but the kids like them so I keep a few small boxes in the car)

- Baby Mum-Mums (easy for babes with no teeth)



Quick snacks/meals at home include:

- Any of the above mentioned items

- Fruit - Pineapple, Grapes, Bananas, Tangerines etc.

- Mrs. May's Nut & Seed mixes (or nut and fruit mixes if you like dried fruit)(Found at Costco or health Food stores)

-Wild Salmon Burgers (also from Costco, can be pan-grilled or microwave in no time at all, thrown on a salad or a bun)

- Eggs (scrambled, over-easy, omelets, etc.)

- Whole Wheat Quesadillas

- Whole Wheat Crust Pizza

These are just what the kids and I usually end up eating during the day. I could definitely stand to have some more variety. What are your go-to foods? And don't tell me doughnuts... health-promoting foods...we'll get to the treats soon enough I'm sure :)



HFCS - High Fructose Corn Syrup
AC - Artificial Color
TF/H - Trans Fat, Hydorgenated Oils



No comments: